Well after about 100 million frustrating attempts to actually capture a bubble where I wanted it to be I ended up with a handful of useable shots.
Below you will see how I post processed them.
From the Raw image the first adjustment is for white balance exposure and basic contrast.
This is a bit of a trick as with so much of the image being black the histogram is of very little help. The idea here is to boost as much of the light while keeping the background crisp and black.
Next is noise reduction. I like how lightroom handles noise reduction as the color noise tends to be more of an issue. In this case the low iso (only 400) and the relatively large image (36 MP) means very little noise reduction is required to publish and image on the web (say 1024 x 768). There is very little noise in the image to begin with but with the help of the sliders we can clean that up nicely.
I also turn off all the sharpening in camera raw as I prefer to sharpen later in the process (as is the case almost always if you intend to do any post processing beyond the camera raw). Open the image for further editing.
I then did the same thing with a second image.
I copied the second image and pasted it into a new layer on the first image.
Then blend the layer together using lighter color. This is a great method of exposure stacking and will add the second bubble to the first. I used layer masks to ensure the background and bubble edges stacked correctly.
I moved each layer around until the bubbles were in their desired positions. I had some issue with a few of the bubbles at the top or bottom of the frame as they could not be moved to the center of the frame without looking flat due to their missing edge.
Next I flattened the image and adjusted the “levels” allowing me to clip the blacks for a much sharper image and making the blending of the two images look a bit more natural by setting the “true black” across the board for both images.
And last of all, sharpen.
Here you go.
The final image is a bit more complicated, but I’ll post that later. For now, give it a try – see how well your images turn out.
Posted in 2014 Photo Project, post processing
Tagged bubbles, camera raw, crop, edit, jpg, photo, photography, photoshop, pictures, post process, post processing, project.
Wether it is gear failure bad weather or clients who cancel last minute photographers deal with a ton of unexpected circumstances. So what do you do when life presents an unfair mix of negativity? What every other success person in the world does. Persevere.
Now, im no protographer, (yes i did spell it like that on purpose) I dont depend on my photographs to pay my mortgage or feed my family but I do take it quite seriously. So when this week presented one of the wettest weeks on record in the canadian prairies I got pretty down. Drab grey clouds dont produce the kind of prairie skies that make an open panorama engaging and uplifting. I thought of all the ways I could make it work but travelling is not recommended due to flooding and the fields would be nearly impossible to traverse in order to get the shot. Please dont hear me say a good shot isn’t worth it and likely if I was making a living of this I would have been out 2 or 3 times trying to get a good picture.
All that to say my June image is not going according to plan so I have decided to adapt. To be flexible to try and attain what I think is a crazy goal.
Plan setup shoot post process and publish an image in 9 hours the whole time capturing and posting the process all while balancing thr demands on 3 kids.
I make no promises but I think this is going to be fun…
Trust me when I say this. I am extremely hesitant to do any portrait photography, and I don’t think I have the experience or the proper lighting gear to shoot a good wedding.
That being said my mom’s cousin asked me to shoot her wedding in addition to the photographer they highered. I said yes to that since I won’t be the professional photog.
This takes all the pressure off and allows me to gain some experience shooting a wedding. Should be fun and gives me an opportunity to complete my 2014 photo project may photo.
I’ll set it up for you later but for now I have to get back to the wedding I’m currently at. The above photo was taken today and since I was in the wedding party I had to leave my fancy camera at home. It was shot and edited on my samsung smartphone.