I have had a pretty good week. Aside from insane hours of school work I did manage to find some time to post process.
I am pretty happy with this image. I spent a bit of time on the floor in this image as the crop left too small of a visual mass to allow the reflection to lead the subject.
I ended up cloning in about 1/3 of what you now see of the floor.
I was not the actual photographer at this wedding so I would have preferred a fill light on the subjects faces. But as you can see the dynamic range of the camera did a fairly good job of lifting the shadows without the window light blowing out the rest of the frame.
I had another shot in this series that was tighter to the subject and actually excluded the upper windows and the lamp. I thought I would like it better but with this crop I feel the balance is strong between the white space created by the window and the visual interest of the reflection. This helps to allow the eye to focus on the subjects but still see the interest of the rest of the frame.
This is a low resolution image but still maintains a ton of the detail of the original shot.
I hope you like it and even if you don’t feel free to leave your constructive criticism in the comments below.
My sister got married this weekend and my kids had the opportunity to be involved. My son was a ring bearer and my daughters both flower girls.
I did have a chance to shoot some photos and loved every minute of it.
Here is one photo I thought I would share.
Hope you like it.
Well after about 100 million frustrating attempts to actually capture a bubble where I wanted it to be I ended up with a handful of useable shots.
Below you will see how I post processed them.
From the Raw image the first adjustment is for white balance exposure and basic contrast.
This is a bit of a trick as with so much of the image being black the histogram is of very little help. The idea here is to boost as much of the light while keeping the background crisp and black.
Next is noise reduction. I like how lightroom handles noise reduction as the color noise tends to be more of an issue. In this case the low iso (only 400) and the relatively large image (36 MP) means very little noise reduction is required to publish and image on the web (say 1024 x 768). There is very little noise in the image to begin with but with the help of the sliders we can clean that up nicely.
I also turn off all the sharpening in camera raw as I prefer to sharpen later in the process (as is the case almost always if you intend to do any post processing beyond the camera raw). Open the image for further editing.
I then did the same thing with a second image.
I copied the second image and pasted it into a new layer on the first image.
Then blend the layer together using lighter color. This is a great method of exposure stacking and will add the second bubble to the first. I used layer masks to ensure the background and bubble edges stacked correctly.
I moved each layer around until the bubbles were in their desired positions. I had some issue with a few of the bubbles at the top or bottom of the frame as they could not be moved to the center of the frame without looking flat due to their missing edge.
Next I flattened the image and adjusted the “levels” allowing me to clip the blacks for a much sharper image and making the blending of the two images look a bit more natural by setting the “true black” across the board for both images.
And last of all, sharpen.
Here you go.
The final image is a bit more complicated, but I’ll post that later. For now, give it a try – see how well your images turn out.
Posted in 2014 Photo Project, post processing
Tagged bubbles, camera raw, crop, edit, jpg, photo, photography, photoshop, pictures, post process, post processing, project.
Well, it didn’t kill me. Although at several points I was certain I was going to die. Trying to be inconspicuous and still get up close and personal with a wedding ceremony is a task best saved for a solid 180mm lense. I brought a 50mm…
Fortunately for me I wasn’t “THE” photographer.
I actually had a lot of fun once I got into it. I found myself inspired even.
I know that the idea of my blog was to share the whole brutal process of selecting a frame and talking about post processing, but life has been far to demanding lately for that. My apologies.
I will leave you with this.
When you take a good photograph post processing becomes easy. I cropped I converted to B and W and I added a bit of vignette.
I am happy with it.
I am also happy not to shoot a wedding again…
Posted in 2014 Photo Project, Photos, post processing
Tagged B&W, black and white, bride, groom, kiss, photography, photos, pictures, wedding