I actually really liked my second try – see above. I have to admit I cheated on the blending of the colors and used red blue yellow green orange and purple paint (I actually mixed the brown in the middle). I like the way the highlights blew out. I liked the vivid colors I even liked the accent lights. The focal point was more so chosen by the minimum focal distance on my camera and not necessarily by the creative process, but you work with what you know.
Next I wanted to get an even deeper depth of field so I changed camera angles and the distance to my subject and shot the below image.
This also turned out relatively to my liking, but as I was editing both images I realized that the space between the paint and the mirrors and the mirrors themselves made weird shapes and pattern which from far back contribute to the image by creating even more shapes to look at, but up close seem to take away from the colors.
I also noticed the camera was slightly off angle and so perfect symmetry was impossible to obtain, so setting up a second time I tried to align as close to perpendicular as humanly possible.
I quickly set up again and shot the below image this time paying special attention to location of the mirrors relative to each other and closing the angle of the mirrors to touch the paint on the two sides where the image would be reflected.
I was unable to do anything with the space at the joint of the two mirrors – the silver backing is separated by the glass in the mirror and so a gap exists no matter how it is configured. Next time I might invest the big bucks in a true bevel cut mirror, or get a bent mirror that is a single piece.
Overall I am quite happy with the result.
What do you think.
As far as post process went – I basically pushed the exposure an extra half step. Increased the vibrance and clarity (slightly overdoing either of these adjustments results in all sorts of weirdness). Cropped to taste (or in two of the cases cropped to get as close to symmetry as possible, and then sharpened. That’s it – the closer you get to nailing it in camera the easier the final stage is.